Archive for the ‘Races’ Category
On Sunday 9th of June the next race in the club championship was run, the Marsden 10 mile Challenge. There was a big turn out of runners from Meltham AC and some competitive inter club running with 6 runners finishing within 4 minutes of one another. Andy Whitworth was our fastest runner finishing in 1:08:36 to claim 9th place. Followed by Penny Ditchfield in 1:13:46, claiming 3rd female place. There were some good results for others as well notably Christian Lloyd who beat his previous time by 8 mins and Adele Tayles who beat her previous best by 7 mins. Full results can be found here.
Once again a big thank you to Andrew Thrippleton for sharing his fantastic photos with us.
The next race in the Meltham Championship, The Dovestone Diamond was run on Wednesday 29th May. Meltham AC were well represented with 12 members in the race. After lots of rain for a couple of days before the race, the course was quiet wet and muddy. First Meltham AC runner was Graeme Lee who took Mark Cope’s place at the last minute, in 47:44, followed by Steve Perren and Paul Elliott. Well done also to Adele Tayles who came in first in her category. Full results and pictures can be found here.
A big thank you to Jason and Colin for hosting a great friendly event, which was well organised with excellent marshalling. Catering and real ale available at the finish.
Many thanks from the whole club to all those who competed, marshalled and organised today’s Meltham 10k. We had another fabulous turnout and suitably pleasant conditions for a late-January fixture.
The Huddersfield Road Runners 10k on the 27th February was the traditional final race on the Meltham AC Club Championships calendar, and so was the last opportunity to accumulate points towards the main Club and Handicap Championships.
The race itself saw a clear victory for Holmfirth’s Matthew Pierson in a time of 34.05, and in the women’s race victory was for Amy Green of Keighley & Craven AC in 39.54. Full results can be found on the Huddersfield Road Runners website. Meltham AC had an excellent numer of finishers, 17 in total, and their times and positions are listed below:
- 10 0.37.57 Rob James M 06:06.3 4/106
- 22 0.39.55 Matthew Dillingham M 06:25.3 9/106
- 53 0.43.27 Mick Lunn M40 06:59.4 9/60
- 79 0.44.47 Chris Oldfield M35 07:12.3 13/51
- 80 0.44.47 Raymond McArthur M55 07:12.3 2/25
- 114 0.46.42 John Hobbs M65 07:30.8 1/6
- 128 0.47.34 Nigel Thomas M50 07:39.2 9/33
- 141 0.48.12 Paul Elliott M45 07:45.3 15/39
- 164 0.49.08 Mike Harrison M50 07:54.3 14/33
- 179 0.49.41 Hayley Lomas F35 07:59.6 6/30
- 199 0.51.10 Mark Cope M40 08:13.9 35/60
- 201 0.51.14 Susan Heap F45 08:14.6 1/20
- 219 0.51.51 Jeffrey Taylor M70 08:20.5 1/4
- 286 0.55.08 Martin Sturdy M50 08:52.2 21/33
- 316 0.56.29 Fiona McArthur F55 09:05.2 4/9
- 348 0.57.48 Robert Page M60 09:17.9 11/15
- 435 1.04.30 Hannah Spring F35 10:22.6 25/30
The Club Championships were thus concluded and the final and full results can be viewed now. The winners of each Championship were announced as follows:Ladies Champion - Sue Heap Men Champion - Ray McArthur Ladies Champion (Handicap) - Fiona McArthur Men’s Champion (Handicap) - Mick Lunn Ladies Fell Champion - Gilly Markham Men Fell Champion - Ray McArthur Ladies Fell Champion (Handicap) - Fiona McArthur Men’s Fell Champion (Handicap) - Andy Hargreaves Team Champions - Chris Oldfield, Matt Dillingham, Andy Tyack
A relatively mild, but ultimately windy day was the setting for this year’s first club race, with 15 members taking part in the Meltham AC Winter Handicap 2011. The 2.7mile loop took in part of the Cop Hill Fell race course, and, although there was plenty of mud under foot, there was less than many had feared at the start line.
Matt Dillingham completed the course in the fastest time of 18.17, but this was only good enough to come tied 3rd in the handicap results. The title was taken by Mick Lunn who had an excellent run finishing with an overall handicap time of 26.34. Penny Ditchfield was his closest overall rival with a handicap time of 27.39, putting her 2nd, just 8 seconds clear of Giles Bailey and Matt Dillingham, who managed to tie for the final position on the podium.
|Position||Name||Handicap Time||Actual Time|
On behalf of Meltham AC, we would like to thank all competitors who took part in the Cop Hill Fell Race this weekend. Again we were blessed with ideal conditions – late Autumn sunshine, a light breeze and a crisp temperature.
The results are now online on our Cop Hill page. In summary, the men’s race was won by Ben Crowther of Halifax Harriers in a time of 39:21 and the women’s race by Katie Walshaw of Holmfirth Harriers in a time of 41:20. Holmfirth had further success taking both the men’s and women’s team prizes.
- 1st – Ben Crowther – Halifax Harriers – 39:21
- 2nd – Matthew Pierson – Holmfirth Harriers – 39:59
- 3rd – Alistair Langron – Holmfirth Harriers – 40:10
- 1st - Katie Walshaw - Holmfirth Harriers – 41:20
- 2nd – Helen Berry - Holmfirth Harriers – 43:39
- 3rd – Julia Johnson - Holmfirth Harriers – 48:36
Male Vet Categories
- MV40 – Nicholas Charlesworth – Wharfedale – 40:20
- MV45 – Mick Stenton - Dark Peak – 41:57
- MV50 – Andy Normandale – York – 41:26
- MV55 – Phil Grimes – Halifax – 42:39
- MV60 – Tony Hesketh – Horwich – 48:55
- MV65 – Tim Cock – Holmfirth Harriers – 56:55
Female Vet Categories
- FV35 – Emma Gregory – Bowland – 49:53
- FV40 – Marisol Carrera-Viva – Bingley – 50:45
- FV45 – Sharon Williams – Ilkley – 52:24
- FV50 – Charmain Heaton – Retford – 61:40
- FV55 – Lesley Ewart – Holmfirth Harriers – 52:00
Team Male – Holmfirth Harriers – Pierson, Langron, Baxter
Team Female – Holmfirth Harriers – Walshaw, Berry, Johnson
The fog descended on the runners for the Holmfirth 15mile race this weekend, but this gave perfect conditions with no breeze and no rain. The course involved the traditional small loop around Holmfirth High School and then two large laps of the New Mill/Honley/Holmfirth circuit.
The race was won by Holmfirth’s own Dave Watson in a time of 1hr 23min57 comfortably ahead of the field, with Bridget Coomber again the clear winner in women’s race in 1hr 40min23. Full results can be found at: http://www.ukresults.net/2010/holmfirth15.html
Meltham’s finishers were as follows:
- 12 Matt Dillingham M 01:37:19
- 77 Mick Lunn M40 01:54:09
- 107 Mark Cope M40 02:03:04
- 110 Sue Heap F45 02:03:46
- 116 Jon Burdon F35 02:04:27
- 129 Gilly Markham F50 02:10:33
- 157 Helen-Marie Krugger F 02:24:52
Yorkshireman Full & Half Marathon – 12th September
- 75 Mick Lunn MV40 4.48.47
- 99 Sue Heap FV45 5.08.07
- 56 Ray McArthur MV55 2.08.58
- 98 Melanie Sykes F 2.19.54
- 112 Andy Hargreaves MV55 2.24.02
- 127 Penny Ditchfield F 2.26.52
- 128 Hayley Lomas F 2.26.53
- 170 Gilly Markham FV50 2.35.50
- 217 Fiona McArthur FV55 2.52.10
- 243 Alison Hargreaves FV45 3.13.56
Ravenstones Fell Race – 2nd October
- 24 Ray McArthur M55 01:32:15
- 37 Andy Hargreaves M55 01:38:11
- 48 Mick Lunn M40 01:41:57
- 49 Sue Heap F45 01:42:01
- 52 Gilly Markham F50 01:46:01
- 58 Mike Harrison M50 01:51:38
- 70 Fiona McArthur F55 02:11:53
Meltham AC are again organising the Meltham Cop Hill Fell Race on Sunday 7th Novemeber at 10.30am. For full details please visit the Cop Hill Fell Race page where you can see all the latest details, important information and where you can download an entry form.
We look forward to seeing you in November!